May 8, 2014

Late Start Day

We didn't start head out to the site until 12 on this day.  Part of that was because there was rain in the morning.  Another part was that some members of NCC8 were going to come out to excavate, and they don't start until around 5pm.  We intended to partially overlap the excavation times.

The site was quite muddy from the morning rain when we got there. Some of the water had made its way into Emily and Sam's pit (EU18).

Chris kept working on level 3 of the SE quad to match the NE depth.  Dru also started removing the wall between the units (starting with the northern half of the wall).

When Chris was done with the SE quad, I started taking down the NW.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make much progress.  Dru took a smoke break, and the wind kept changing direction to blow the fumes directly on me.  Since I'm quite allergic to cigarette smoke, my lungs decided to stop functioning.  I just can't dig when I'm having an allergic reaction, so Sammy drove me back to the college.  When I got there I ended up using my inhaler and taking 4Tbsp. of Benadryl just to be able to breathe again.

Apparently, Chris found a nice rim sherd with punctate decorations on it in the border between the SW and SE quads after I left.  I washed it on a later day, and it's a nice piece.